Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Barred Warbler and buntings at Ness

What's around? Share your latest wildlife and nature sightings.
BrianR

Barred Warbler and buntings at Ness

Post by BrianR » 04 Oct 2015, 20:51

Unknown.jpeg
Barred Warbler - Tony Marr
Unknown-1.jpeg
Barred Warbler - Tony Marr
News from Tony: yesterday a flock of 60 Snow Buntings flew SW past the Butt of Lewis lighthouse at 16.50 hours (none found on a comprehensive 2-hour search before that). The Curlew with an abnormally short-bill that was seen in September was still present. Early today at the Butt there were four Lapland Buntings in the longer grass about a quarter of a mile SW of the lighthouse (after flying up they gained height and headed off to the south when Tony lost them to sight over the beach at Europie). Only 15 Snow Buntings were present along the cliffs.

And Tony's account of the warbler: 'late this morning I found a Barred Warbler in an Europie garden but it quickly flew off and I lost it. After searching the immediate area I returned to the garden and 40 minutes later it flew back in and I managed to get some photos. This was the same garden (No 10 behind what used to be the Europie Teahouse) where four weeks ago we had a Subalpine Warbler (presumed Eastern Subalpine Warbler). Two of us had thought initially from photos that it was a Barred Warbler. I have just carefully checked my photos of the Subalpine and confirmed half a dozen immediate differences – today’s bird has different leg colour, bill shape and size, no eyering, pale edges to coverts, bulky appearance, uniform whitish underparts.'