Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

A very brief encounter with a possible Bluethroat

What's around? Share your latest wildlife and nature sightings.
BrianR

A very brief encounter with a possible Bluethroat

Post by BrianR » 10 Nov 2015, 17:35

On the 4th scarce migrants at Callernish, North Uist were Black Redstart and Yellow-browed Warbler (with another Yellow-browed still present in a garden at nearby Claddach-vallay). In view of this I thought a return visit may be productive but there were definitely fewer migrants about than on the previous day. A late Whimbrel flew over and a Woodcock was flushed but there was no sign of the redstart or Yellow-browed. After a while I decided to stand on the wall looking into the overgrown section of the west end. A flock of Goldfinch with a couple of Linnets flew in and then a ♂ Blackcap into a large evergreen bush. As I focused on the Blackcap a bird of similar size came into view (or rather its head did) very close to the Blackcap. I registered a very long and striking whitish supercilium and a light submoustachial stripe before the bird was gone. Just a glimpse of light underparts but I had the feeling it was something good so remained for a good half an hour but needless to say I did not see it again. It wasn't until very much later that I gave the mystery bird much thought and Bluethroat fitted perfectly.