Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

white gyr falcon Ardivachar

What's around? Share your latest wildlife and nature sightings.
AndrewS

white gyr falcon Ardivachar

Post by AndrewS » 06 Dec 2015, 16:22

A rather obliging young gyr falcon on the machair at Ardivachar this afternoon. Mostly roaming around between the small arms range and the cemetery - often landing.

cheers, Andrew
gyr1_1.jpg
gyr7_1.jpg
gyr8_1.jpg

AndrewS

Re: white gyr falcon Ardivachar

Post by AndrewS » 27 Jan 2016, 18:26

The gyr was hunting in the Bornish area again today. Early afternoon it was around Loch Torornish before heading low north towards Ormiclate

cheers, Andrew

BrianR

Post by BrianR » 21 Feb 2016, 20:11

_DSC1780.JPG
_DSC1746.JPG
At Kyles-paible.
IMG_0595.JPG
Taken at Clachan by Alasdair.
Some up to date news of the Gyrfalcon on North Uist. On the 15th Lyn and Brian saw it near the Carinish hall and opposite the Baleshare turn sitting on a rock. By time they had turned the car around it had flown off.

This morning around 10 o'clock Mary MacLean from Clachan-a-Luib rang to say her son Alasdair had managed to get some photos of it through the rain-spattered window on the chimney of the ruined house next-door. It soon flew off and Mary didn't see in which direction it went. Then this afternoon Brian was contacted by Angus MacDougall of Kyles-paible to say the bird was at a Greylag Goose carcass. Brian informed Sophie and René next door and they were actually able to see it from their house just along the bay. At one time it was involved in a skirmish with a Buzzard. I managed to see it with Bill Allan half an hour or so later and got a few record shots. Had a pretty full crop when it suddenly took off flying close to us overhead and off to the south. Unfortunately I was not quick enough to get any flight shots.

BrianR

Post by BrianR » 15 Mar 2016, 21:49

DSC_2381.JPG
Resting after the feast.
DSC_2367.JPG
Nothing left now!
News of the Gyrfalcon on North Uist in last couple of days. Yesterday I was told it was feeding on a Greylag carcass at Balemore and Graham had heard today that it was near the track down from the old TK at Balemore. It was well into the afternoon when I caught up with it and as can be seen from the photo there was not much left of the carcass. So the falcon appeared pretty much full up and was asleep for some of the time that I was there. Looking into the sun and undoubtedly there will be many more dramatic photos taken in the morning when the bird must have been more active. In The Gyrfalcon by Eugene Potapov and Richard Sale it is said that it is not uncommon for Gyrfalcons to feed on carrion, especially in winter. Usually this consists of dead Reindeer, snared grouse or trapped Arctic Foxes. Eating trapped animals usually leads to conflict with local trappers. I heard later that the Gyrfalcon had perhaps actually taken the goose.

Some Ness news from Tony for yesterday: 'three Greenland White-fronted Geese arrived at Loch Stiapavat in the early afternoon and later flew off east over Port of Ness, the ♂ Green-winged Teal was still present while in the early evening a White-billed Diver was off the harbour at Skigersta (some 400 yards out it was close to a Great Northern Diver and appeared to be in heavy primary moult.'

North Uist news: a flock of 28 Whooper Swans flew N low over the sea off Aird an Runair this morning, the ♂ Green-winged Teal is still at Loch nam Feithean, Pied Wagtails are now at a number of places while the first Wheatear was seen by Graham on the roof of his house near Loch Sandary this afternoon. Quite an early date - earliest in late February with one record in first week of March with many others in the second half of March (if we disregard the Leap Year just makes it into the second half).

Ness news just in from Tony for today: 'three White-billed Divers offshore this afternoon (still one with three Great Northerns off the Skigersta harbour with two off the Port of Ness harbour), and 14 Whooper Swans on Loch Stiapavat. Also the Green-winged Teal accompanying a ♀ Teal). Also yesterday a flock of some 30 Whooper Swans came from the south over Europie around midday and on towards the Butt of Lewis lighthouse where they were assumed to have gone out to sea.'

BrianR

Post by BrianR » 16 Mar 2016, 18:11

DSC_2391.JPG
DSC_2390.JPG
Another gloriously sunny day as I approached Balranald NR and Philip Harding stopped to say he had not long before seen the Gyrfalcon perched on a post at Aird an Runair. It is always satisfying to get reports from local people who take an interest in natural history. Anyway some ten minutes later I soon located the bird sitting on some stones at the highest point of Aird an Runair. It was still in the same place over an hour later when it was seen by others.

There is a Pilot Whale on neaby Traigh nam Faoghailean. Its been there a number of days and already reported to the Scottish Marine Animal Strandings Scheme.

BrianR

Post by BrianR » 28 Mar 2016, 16:49

DSC_2511.JPG
A distant shot by Loch Eaval as it ate the Wigeon.
DSC_2498.JPG
A distant shot of the Gyrfalcon yesterday.
The Gyrfalcon has been much in evidence in the Hougharry/Tigharry area in the last couple of days. Yesterday lunchtime it came and perched on a post over on the east side of Loch na Reivil. I heard later that it chased a Peregrine in the afternoon. Today viewing from near the loch there was quite a bit of raptor activity but all at some distance - a couple of White-tailed Eagles, a first-winter Golden Eagle and at least three Buzzards. As I was watching everything in the vicinity got up (including a Glaucous Gull that must have been resting by the side of the loch) and shortly after the Gyr was located up on the hillside. Parked behind me was Sam Viles who had just arrived off the ferry (travelled from Nottingham) but before he could 'scope it the bird went out of sight. Tim Dix, however, had picked it up from the main road and soon we were all enjoying good views as it sat on the hill above the old school at Tigharry. After half an hour the falcon flew over the road (Sam managed some good flight shots) and in the blink of an eye took a Wigeon from Loch Eaval. Sat at the loch side and enjoyed its meal in the sun.

Yesterday at Balranald NR my first Great Skua of the year flew north and there was a presumed Scandinavian Herring Gull around a cattle feeding place. Also on a flooded area to the east of Traigh lar was a 1st-winter Iceland Gull.
Attachments
DSC_2469.JPG
Presumed Scandinavian Herring Gull.