Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

little auk Barra

What's around? Share your latest wildlife and nature sightings.
Bruce

little auk Barra

Post by Bruce » 07 Jan 2016, 18:44

Following last nights gale, a storm driven little auk was in the bay at Brevig today. It was clearly exhausted and not feeding. It made an attempt to beach itself but returned to the sea after a great black-backed gull made a couple of close passes. Sadly it died out in the bay late this afternoon. There was an altogether healthier little auk at Traigh Mhor on 5th.
DSCN4192.JPG

MisterT
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Re: little auk Barra

Post by MisterT » 07 Jan 2016, 20:32

There would appear to be more sightings than usual of Little Auk recently during this spell of bad weather. I found one exhausted in the dunes at Frobost late last month while performing a BTO NEWS survey. It accompanied me home in my pocket where it was rested and later released after dark. I also saw another flying just off shore at Askernish earlier this week

BrianR

Re: little auk Barra

Post by BrianR » 18 Jan 2016, 17:57

Another one to add to the list - found dead by Peter Murray at Knockintorran on the 12th.

Our largest ever Little Auk influx took place in January 2000 when an unprecedented 263 flew south off Griminish Point, North Uist and another 46 were seen from a ferry in The Little Minch.