Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Great White Egret on North Uist

What's around? Share your latest wildlife and nature sightings.
BrianR

Great White Egret on North Uist

Post by BrianR » 30 Mar 2016, 21:18

DSC_2600.JPG
Wheatear - it can be seen it did have two wings!
On my way to Aird an Rùnair this morning I stopped briefly overlooking Loch nam Feithean and in the distance spotted a Great White Egret. Still a pretty unusual visitor this far north but status likely to change with what's happening further south. I then joined birders at the RSPB visitor centre who were enjoying further great views of the Gyrfalcon. Later in the day when other birders arrived it had moved to near Loch na Reivil.

At Aird an Rùnair a flock of Greenland White-fronted Geese (55) flew N and on the east side of the headland I saw my first Wheatears. Looking at some past dates for departure of White-fronts late March/early April is usual.
DSC_2591.JPG
A record shot of the Great White Egret.

BrianR

Re: Great White Egret on North Uist

Post by BrianR » 31 Mar 2016, 19:30

Hawfinch in Lionel - Tony Marr.jpeg
Tony's exceptional photo of the Hawfinch.
The Great White Egret was still present today and in much the same place as yesterday. Also the Gyrfalcon showed exceptionally well beside Loch na Reivil so many photographers got some excellent shots (as luck would have it I dropped my camera!).

René recorded the largest flock of Whooper Swans to date to pass over Bayhead (51) - brings the total to over 130 now from 28th (four flocks).

Ness news from Tony for yesterday: 'best day of the spring so far for birds on the move with the first Wheatear at the Butt of Lewis (♀ inside the lighthouse compound in the morning) while at 12.45 hours a flock of 60 Greylag Geese came in high from SE from the Minch and headed NW out to sea; in the afternoon at Loch Stiapavat a flock of 34 Pink-footed Geese also came through from SE and went in the same direction (14.45 hours) while there was a flock of at least 200 Redwings in the field on the approach to the hide. There was no sign of the Lionel Hawfinch that was last seen the previous evening after being present for a day and a half'.