Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Colour-ringed Ringed Plover and Redshank

What's around? Share your latest wildlife and nature sightings.
MisterT
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Colour-ringed Ringed Plover and Redshank

Post by MisterT » 01 Jul 2016, 18:15

Within the space of two weeks, I found these 2 colour ringed birds locally on the machair at Hallan and Askernish. It has taken a while to track down the project but oddly enough they were both ringed by Farlington Ringing Group led by Peter Potts and within 2 days of each other.

The Redshank had a history outlined below

16/09/2013 Farlington Marshes LNR, Langstone Harbour, Hampshire
05/11/2013 Broom Channel, Langstone Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire
17/11/2013 The Kench, Langstone Harbour, Hayling Island, Hampshire
10/03/2016 Milton, Langstone Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire
09/06/2016 Askernish, South Uist

The Ringed Plover was ringed on 18th Sept 2013 at Eastoke, Hayling Island, Hampshire as an adult and not seen until the sighting here on the 21st May at Loch Hallan. For both birds and species, these sightings are the first ever for the Group here in the Outer Hebrides

Last edited by MisterT on 02 Jul 2016, 16:11, edited 2 times in total.

Stuart Taylor

Re: Colour-ringed Ringed Plover and Redshank

Post by Stuart Taylor » 02 Jul 2016, 08:02

How long does it usually take to track down a bird? I found a multi-ringed, tagged sanderling at Balranald a couple of months ago but have not heard anything yet, despite putting it on the BTO website. Just wondered.

MisterT
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by MisterT » 02 Jul 2016, 16:03

Where do I start with this. The response to a colour ringed sighting using the BTO website can be relatively quick IF the colour ring project is administered by the BTO and it can be readily identified. Unlike ringed birds where there the ringing scheme is identified on the ring, a project has to be identified from the colour combination/position of the rings. This may well involve a foreign administration which will inevitably introduce delays. As when reporting a ringed bird, the time taken will depend upon how quickly that administration responds. I have waited more than 2 years to hear about Spanish ringed birds in the past. The added complication with colour ringed sightings is that if the colour ring combination has been read in error, a project will never be found and you will not hear anything.

And then there are waders. As a ringer, the BTO insist that I submit all sightings via their database, the Integrated Population Monitoring Reporter (IPMR) which I do, but like you, I’m impatient and therefore conduct my own investigations first.

My first port of call is The European colour-ring birding website which lists many of the schemes, but NOT ALL! The schemes that are listed (including mine), have a contact email address which may or may not respond. Luckily most do.

The International Wader Study Group (IWSG) claim to have a register of all European and the East Atlantic Flyway colour-ring schemes. This can be downloaded but is not the easiest excel spreadsheet to manipulate or understand if you are not familiar with the terminology, but again, there is a contact email for every scheme.

Both organisations have Facebook pages so I have been known to post on there if I get desperate, and the response has always been positive.

Over the years, one builds up contacts who can often point you in the right direction which always helps, With your Sanderling, on the 80/20, rule it will most probably be an Icelandic bird and the man to contact in the first instance is Jeroen Reneerkens j.w.h.reneerkens@rug.nl
Despite all of this, there are still mystery birds such as this Dunlin I saw earlier this year. I know that it is a foriegn ringed bird just by the height of the metal ring on it's left leg.

And yes,I submit the sighting to the BTO whatever the outcome, otherwise the record would be lost if the original ringer does not do the same.

MisterT
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by MisterT » 08 Jul 2016, 23:09

Peter Potts, the original ringer of both birds has just emailed to say that the Redshank was seen this evening (8th July) at Farligton Marshes LNR where it was originally ringed. Amazing!