Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Scottish Biodiversity Week - The Big Seaweed Hunt

News about wildlife-related events in the Outer Hebrides.
Cynipid

Scottish Biodiversity Week - The Big Seaweed Hunt

Post by Cynipid » 29 Mar 2012, 14:09

The Big Seaweed Hunt
Carinish, North Uist

Saturday 19 May 2012 11.00am - 1.00pm

Curracag and the Outer Hebrides Biological Recording Project invite you to join in Big Seaweed Search

The aim is to map the distribution of 12 key kinds of seaweed that can be found around the UK coast. Populations of seaweeds around Britain's shores may be changing. Climate change has an effect on water conditions and sea levels, which may affect seaweeds as well as many other organisms. The spread of non-native species may also be having an impact on some species. With your help we can track and monitor the effects of climate change and invasive species on the UK's seaweeds and the wealth of life that they support. We aim to help you to record what you find and encourage more recording on the Uists to contribute to this Natural History Museum Seaweed Study.

Directions: In Carinish, take the junction from the main road west, sign posted Carinish. Travelling from the north, this is a right turn 50m after the Temple View Hotel. Travelling from Benbecula/South Uist, turn left approx 100m after the free church. Travel straight on for approx. half a kilometer, taking the left fork on the single track road where it divides. After another half kilo metre, you arrive at a white house (The Ferry/The Old Post Office) directly in front of you. This is the meeting point and the start of the walk to the shore.

Grid Reference: NF818 595

YvonneB

Re: Scottish Biodiversity Week - The Big Seaweed Hunt

Post by YvonneB » 19 May 2012, 18:47

Thanks very much for organising the Seaweed Hunt - i really enjoyed it and learned a lot! It was great to see such a range of ages attending - from age 1 to ... well let's just say my husband is old enough for a bus pass ;)

There is just something so enjoyable about splashing around in rock pools with your wellies on isn't there?!

Cheers
Yvonne
:)

P.S. Here's a photo of the Toothed Wrack (Fucus serratus) that we found at the Seaweed Hunt today:-

Cynipid

Re: Scottish Biodiversity Week - The Big Seaweed Hunt

Post by Cynipid » 21 May 2012, 23:19

Thanks Yvonne, it's been a long time since I paid attention to our ubiquitous macro algae, but it paid off and will be less daunting each time I go out, now I've started to brush the cobwebs away.

I managed to key out and ID some of the species I took home, and iron out some of the puzzling characteristics we found on some individual samples, so will write a short summary of the excursion for the newsletter.