Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Hello Curracag

News about wildlife-related events in the Outer Hebrides.
Matt T

Hello Curracag

Post by Matt T » 25 Feb 2013, 10:29

Hello Curracag,

Some of you already know me and I am looking forward to getting to know others in due course as I was elected to be your new Chair at the last AGM. On behalf of Curracag I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Tracey for her leadership over the last 3 years. She has left a very tidy ship and it is with just a little trepidation that I step up to follow in her footsteps.

So, “Who is Matthew Topsfield?” I hear you all asking. I’m an old-fashioned naturalist with broad interests encompassing all taxa, habitats and aspects of the world around us. Natural history is in my blood and my childhood memories mostly consist of exploring country lanes and the near-wilderness of the Essex marshes as well as wildlife encounters in more urban settings, including the nature reserve of which my Grandfather was warden – a small but very interesting bit of unimproved coastal grassland on MOD land. I lived most of my adult life in Hampshire, studied for an undergraduate Masters degree in Environmental Science at Southampton (culminating in a study of the re-colonisation of Britain and Ireland by the Little Egret Egretta garzetta) and worked for the Environment Agency before moving to Scotland. Leaving a job with SNH and wind farms behind I moved from Edinburgh to the Uists quite recently. I had previously been a frequent visitor but my role as Advisory Officer for the Machair LIFE+ project brings me into closer contact with many aspects of the Hebridean environment, life and crofting characters on a daily basis.

2013 will be an exciting year for Curracag. OHBR will continue to be a strong focus for our activity. We have a new branch covering Lewis & Harris, re-establishing a focus for natural history enthusiasts there who have already published a great list of events for the year ahead. This is very timely, with 2013 being designated as the Scottish Government’s official 'Year of Natural Scotland' (what happens to nature in every other year I wonder?) and I hope that we will be able to make the most of this opportunity to showcase our special wildlife throughout the Outer Isles. To start this off we will be celebrating some of the smaller, sometimes overlooked natural treasures than can be found on these isles through the 'Hebridean Little 5'. Have you nominated your favourite species yet...?

That’s all from me for now. I’m really looking forward to getting to know you all and working with you through my new role. If you have any ideas, suggestions or offers of help for Curracag projects, events or other ways of getting us out there I’d be glad to hear from you – it’s your society so tell me what you want and get involved. Please feel free to get in touch with me on:

07775 812036
maxwell_topside@hotmail.co.uk
12 Griminish, Benbecula, HS7 5QA
Matt Topsfield
Curracag Chair

YvonneB

Re: Hello Curracag

Post by YvonneB » 25 Feb 2013, 21:32

Hi Matt

I'm very glad that you have been able to take on the role of Curracag chairman and i look forward to the society moving forward and developing under your leadership!

All best wishes, Yvonne

chrisjohnson
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by chrisjohnson » 26 Feb 2013, 07:42

Hi Matt

Congratulations and thanks for taking on the chair of Curracag. It was good meeting up briefly at the recent AGM.

Chris

WendyM

Post by WendyM » 05 Mar 2013, 15:34

Hello Matt

Congratulations on taking over as chair of Curracag.

Do you have any links for more information about the "Hebridean Little 5" that you mention please?

Thank you

christinej
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by christinej » 08 Mar 2013, 08:55

Hello Wendy
We're preparing to launch the Little Five Project very soon.
I will put a post on the forum and information will appear on the Curracag website and OHBR website with full details.
However you might like to think of an animal or plant to nominate - it has to be small, found in the islands and easy to identify.

Christine