Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

curlew sandpiper - maybe? identifictaion request

This is the place to discuss anything to do with birds or birding in the Outer Hebrides
virtualheb

curlew sandpiper - maybe? identifictaion request

Post by virtualheb » 01 Jun 2012, 07:44

Hi all

This morning outside our window on the moorland at the back - Balalalln - saw a bird, which in my mind I think could have been a curlew sandpiper, although I arent sure at all. THe bird certainly wasnt a curlew - it had a baclck straight beak, quite long. I thought it wasnt the right shape at all to be a common sandpiper - as was longer and slimmer. Its breast underneath was really white which doesnt quite seem to fit with a curlew sandpiper as I read that the adults this time of year dont have as much white - but could it be a juvenile (or is this too early for them?)

I know there are several other birds that could figure in the equation - but I ruled out the turnstones - and the dunlins - as i have well seen them before? Anybody any ideas?

Tristan

Re: curlew sandpiper - maybe? identifictaion request

Post by Tristan » 02 Jun 2012, 13:19

Hi virtualheb

It is very unlikely that your bird was a Curlew Sandpiper as, for one thing, this is not a moorland species. It's difficult to say much more without a more detailed description (including an idea of the bird's size), but I wonder if it might have been a Greenshank?

virtualheb

Re: curlew sandpiper - maybe? identifictaion request

Post by virtualheb » 02 Jun 2012, 14:55

Cheers Tristan - I am sure you are probably right, and as the curlew sandpiper, wouldnt have really been out on the moorland, ( I hadnt thought it through - had I!)

The bird could well have been a greenshank, it was certainly the size of the greenshanks, when I look at photos of greenshanks I have taken previously and others on the net, yes on reflection it could well have been a greenshank -

Thanks again.