Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Coal Tit - query

This is the place to discuss anything to do with birds or birding in the Outer Hebrides
virtualheb

Coal Tit - query

Post by virtualheb » 14 Jun 2012, 08:35

Hi all

Quite common I know but we had a coal tit visiting Balallan today, am I right in thinking that up till now it has been the case that the small tits - blue tit and coal tit etc, had only usually visited around Stornoway, we used to get then at Newmarket, but I hadnt expected to see them here at Balallan - Or am I wrong with that assumption?

Chris
www.virtualheb.co.uk

BrianR

Re: Coal Tit - query

Post by BrianR » 15 Jun 2012, 16:51

Hi Chris,

Apart from the Stornoway area Coal Tits are established in the Garynahine plantation (first bred in 1989) and occasionally breeds at Achmore. Maybe at other places on Lewis and there are a few records for Harris in suitable breeding habitat. Remains a scarce visitor to the Uists and Barra despite an increase in plantations.

FrankS

Post by FrankS » 15 Jun 2012, 22:51

BrianR wrote:Hi Chris,

Apart from the Stornoway area Coal Tits are established in the Garynahine plantation (first bred in 1989) and occasionally breeds at Achmore. Maybe at other places on Lewis and there are a few records for Harris in suitable breeding habitat. Remains a scarce visitor to the Uists and Barra despite an increase in plantations.
There are still coal tits breeding at Garynahine as far as i know Brian. It might be worth mentioning , for Chris's benefit, that Coal tits prefer conifer plantations whereas Blue tits tend to be found where there are mature deciduous trees, for example, in Stornoway I think this is governed by the specific food required by each species for rearing their chicks, although i'm not absolutely certain and i'm sure someone else could elaborate.
You dont actually need a plantation to attract them to your garden Chris, but it will help if you have a few fir trees in the vicinity. You might even encourage them to breed, like i did in 2011.
Fortunately, my neighbour planted about 30 conifers about 25 years ago, which attracted Coal Tits to my area (Leurbost) I always have feeders out and last year i decided to try and get them to use a nest box, which i attached to the north wall of my workshop. Long story short, ten eggs were laid, ten chicks fledged and i recorded the event

Frank

virtualheb

Post by virtualheb » 16 Jun 2012, 07:49

HI all

Many thanks Brian and Frank for your info - actually there are a fwe conifers - quite tall ones - at the house on the opposite side of road, and too in our garden we have several young one - a few years old, so that is good news! When we get to it - and time permits, I would like to put up all sorts of nest boxes, also cameras too, and we do have lots of feeders around the rear of the property

How exciting to see ten chicks fledge - maybe one day we will see such things soon - you never know - maybe next season - will get to boxes etc

Info - much appreciated - all!

Chris
virtualheb.co.uk.

Tristan

Post by Tristan » 16 Jun 2012, 11:24

In addition to the places mentioned already, I have seen Coal Tits and Blue Tits at a few other locations on Lewis, from Tolsta in the north to Gravir in the south. Blue Tits are certainly less widespread than Coal Tits, but I have seen them at both Tolsta and Gravir; in fact, there was a pair recently at Gravir that may well be breeding there.