Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Raven nests

This is the place to discuss anything to do with birds or birding in the Outer Hebrides
Ashley_Jackson
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Raven nests

Post by Ashley_Jackson » 14 Jun 2012, 13:53

Whilst on Harris earlier in the year I got talking to a chap about Ravens, he mentioned that some of the nests of the west of the island near the golf courses often contained golf balls - just wondering if this is folklaw or if it is actually the case, does anybody know ?

:?

Ashley

MisterT
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Re: Raven nests

Post by MisterT » 16 Jun 2012, 10:12

Over the years I have found many unusual items in Corvid nests ranging from a dolls head, Christmas baubles to cutlery. They do appear to collect colourful or unusual objects so perhaps golf balls are something else to add to the list.

As for ravens having a distinct liking for golf balls, I have not noticed them lined up along the fairways here in Askernish waiting to pounce on any wayward tee shot. :lol:

Ashley_Jackson
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Re: Raven nests

Post by Ashley_Jackson » 18 Jun 2012, 19:12

Thanks for the info MisterT - the golfing Raven was probably a one-off nest !

I'd have loved to have seen a photo of the dolls head nest, maybe she was there to keep an eye on things whilst the adults were off-nest... ;)