Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Rock Dove

This is the place to discuss anything to do with birds or birding in the Outer Hebrides
Ashley_Jackson
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Rock Dove

Post by Ashley_Jackson » 14 Jun 2012, 14:05

On my North Uist trip last week I found a couple of Rock Dove nests, I was expecting to find the nests in croft house ruins in the same sort of situation as I'd find a feral town pigeon back home, such as on an open ledge at a reasonable height (the droppings I found in such places suggested this but knowing what I know now they must have just been roost sites) - however the two nests I found were both at ground level amongst piles of stone and extremely well hidden and protected, the droppings at the entrance giving them away, I also flushed another pair of birds from a rabbit burrow... is this typical ?

Ashley

MisterT
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Re: Rock Dove

Post by MisterT » 16 Jun 2012, 10:08

Hi Ashley

The Rock Dove nests that we have monitored as part of the Nest Record Scheme over the past two years have been, as you say, all above ground, on ledges or in crevices. Finding them nesting on the ground amongst stones may be unusual but not that surprising to me. I say that because several other species (Buzzard and Kestrel spring to mind) are also to be found nesting on the ground here, while on the mainland they are not known to do so, or at least very rarely. They may choose to nest on the ground here for several or a combination of reasons, these being less human disturbance, fewer predators, a lack of trees or lack of other suitable nesting sites through competition or otherwise.

Rock Dove chicks (squabs) in nest found in old byre

Ashley_Jackson
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Re: Rock Dove

Post by Ashley_Jackson » 18 Jun 2012, 19:21

Hi MisterT,

I've found very low / ground nesting Fulmar, Raven & Hoodie nests on the islands which (for a guy who doesn't like heights!) is always a nice find, I hadn't really thought about Buzzard & Kestrel also ground nesting - although like you say there are plently of reasons for them to do so compared to on the mainland.

Cheers,

Ashley