Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

cuckoo chick query

This is the place to discuss anything to do with birds or birding in the Outer Hebrides
FrankS

Re: cuckoo chick query

Post by FrankS » 19 Jun 2012, 21:08

Sorry, should i be speaking about cuckoos?

MisterT
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by MisterT » 19 Jun 2012, 22:47

My childhood days were spent in Essex where house sparrow would regularly nest in hedgerows in large numbers. Thinking back, it would appear to be the height of the hedge that seemed to be the governing factor. Anything between 12 – 15 foot would contain scruffy domed nests made mainly of dried grass and lined with feathers somewhere near the tops of trees. Even when dutch elm disease devastated the hedgerows, these nests were still to be seen in the dead trees in large numbers.

Now when I return, none are to be found. :(

Ashley_Jackson
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by Ashley_Jackson » 20 Jun 2012, 08:50

Interesting to hear about these tree nests - I suppose House Sparrows were vastly more numerous in the past and birds therefore more likely to "overflow" into nesting in trees ...

BrianR

Post by BrianR » 21 Jun 2012, 09:47

Ashley, Not much to add to Frank's description of nests of House Sparrows. On North Uist nests in a Claddach-vallay garden have been in a thick bushy conifer and quite well hidden but those in the garden at Callernish much more exposed and could be seen at some distance.