Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Colour Ringed House Sparrows

This is the place to discuss anything to do with birds or birding in the Outer Hebrides
Stuart Taylor

Re: Colour Ringed House Sparrows

Post by Stuart Taylor » 01 Nov 2012, 16:51

Hi,

I had a male at Balranald feeding troughs today with a ring on its left leg, Unfortunatley it moved off before I could get my bins onto it but hopefully will still be in the area. Keep your eyes open if your down there, it could linger.

MisterT
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by MisterT » 02 Nov 2012, 19:23

Thanks very much for that Stuart. Shame that you couldn't get the number. I shall keep my eyes out next time I'm there although you can find me checking out flocks of sparrows anywhere throughout the islands. My wife says I have sparrow constipation - can't pass one!

BrianR

Re A37 seen in Bayhead

Post by BrianR » 04 Nov 2012, 15:10

René reports A37 in garden of Bayvilla, Bayhead at 10.17 this morning.

MisterT
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by MisterT » 04 Nov 2012, 19:37

Hi Brian

A37 was first ringed in Askernish on 6/10/2010 and not seen again until it turned up in Bay Head, first reported on 04/06/2011. He now seems to have now taken up residence in the area since it has been reported an additional 3 times, all in the Bay Head area (Brian & Lynn's garden) on 15/10/2011, again on 20/04/2012 and now today.

Many thanks for taking the time to report this sighting. It’s good to know that A37 is still thriving in his adopted neighbourhood. This information reinforces our thinking that once settled in an area, these sparrows tend to remain sedentry in their chosen locations.

Paul
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by Paul » 19 Dec 2012, 12:04

Just a quick update - I still have B43 & C74 visiting the garden daily - even this morning in this horrendous weather!!
Paul

MisterT
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by MisterT » 19 Dec 2012, 17:22

Paul

Many thanks for the information, it is greatly appreciated. This year has been exceptional with regards to reported sightings and have involved over 20 individuals - so far. All movements have involved juveniles ringed this year, except one, B43. This is a bird that was ringed as a juvenile in 2011. It will be very interesting to see if they remain in in your garden.

As the year ends, I will be putting together as summary of results which I hope to post on the forum in the new year.

Many thanks once again and "Happy Christmas to all my readers"

MisterT
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Colour Ringed House Sparrows

Post by MisterT » 14 Jan 2013, 17:19

As a new year begins, it is a time to correlate the past years data and summarise the results which I have endeavoured to do here. This time I have concentrated more upon the movement of the birds as most of the information relating to the main RAS season can be found in previous posts.

Since the project began in November 2010 a total of 445 House Sparrows have been colour-ringed within our study area here in Askernish. 213 birds were ringed in 2012, of which 183 were juveniles, and a total of 5995 field observations were recorded.

Sightings away from our study area during 2012 far exceeded those of the previous year and involved some 29 birds. The majority of sightings involved this years juveniles unless otherwise stated. As can be seen from the map, they were reported from 7 locations, ranging from Balranald in the north to South Glendale in the south. With so many birds being seen in the latter location, how long will it be before one is reported from Barra or beyond?

There were 3 sightings on North Uist, these being at Balranald (47 Km), Clachan na Luib (41 Km) and Bay Head (43Km) and involved a single bird at each location. The ring number of the birds seen at Balranald and Clachan na Luib could not be read so we cannot identify the individuals. A37 seen at Bay Head is a long staying bird originally seen in June 2011, and is now considered to be resident in that area. All three sightings involve a distance travelled of over 40km, which, for a House Sparrow is considered to be a long distance movement.

There were reports of sightings from 4 locations on South Uist, of which 3 involved more than one bird. A single bird, C20 was seen in Daliburgh (3 Km) on 11th November, only to be joined by another 3 (C80, F83, G04) late in December. 4 birds (B43, C48, C58, C74) were all reported from Carnan (24 Km) on various dates in October, two of which (B43 & C74) have remained. B43 is of interest as it is the only adult bird (second year bird - ringed as a juvenile in 2011) that has been recorded as changing locations, although it’s whereabouts in between leaving Askernish in July 2011 and arriving in Carnan remains a mystery. The single bird F70 was seen in North Smerclete (11 Km) on 10th December.

For whatever reason, South Glendale (11 Km)would appear to hold a special attraction for the House Sparrows of Askernish with 22 individuals being reported throughout the year. B25 and B37 arrived in 2011, both being juveniles from that year. B37 was not seen after February 2012 but B25 remains there to this date. As for the other 20 birds, 19 were this years juveniles, all arriving during October apart from one which was first seen in November. G05 which was ringed in November in adult plumage is presumed to be a first year bird due to its change of locations. Of all the birds seen at South Glendale, apart from B25, only 2 other birds remained until the end of the year.

Of the birds sighted in South Glendale, 3 were of special interest as they were seen in multiple locations while two others, F26 & F38, returned to Askernish during November. C20 was seen in South Glendale on 11-12th October and then in Daliburgh on 11th November where it has remained. C48 and C58 were seen in both South Glendale and Carnan and initially assumed to have travelled together, where in fact they travelled in opposite directions. C48 was first seen in Carnan on 15th October and arrived in Glendale on 26th, while C58 was in Glendale on 7-8th October and arrived in Carnan 12th. The only other bird known to have commuted between two sites was a first year bird (B01) which went between Askernish and South Glendale in 2011, and therefore these additional sightings may well be an indication of the random nature of post-juvenile dispersal.

Once again, our thanks go to Bill for the time and effort he expends helping us with this project. His records are always concise and accurate and the project would be all the poorer without him. I also thank all those who took the time and trouble to report their sightings to us. I can assure you that it is very much appreciated.

Location where colour ringed Sparrows were found in 2012
Click on map to view interactive map & then click on pins to see more detailed information