Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Owl roost?

This is the place to discuss anything to do with birds or birding in the Outer Hebrides
SteveC
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Owl roost?

Post by SteveC » 17 Oct 2012, 15:57

I found this rather strange structure at Roisinis, Benbecula yesterday. It was on top of a rock in a slightly elevated position above the surrounding boggy ground. It seemed to be constructed of turf and stood out because of its shape and bright green colour. There were a number of owl (?) pellets around it.

I wonder if it is a very old roost site for an owl or other bird of prey where there has been a progressive build up of droppings and pellets that has provided the nitrogen to encourage healthy grass growth. I didn't want to pull it apart to investigate further and wonder if anyone else has some ideas or has come across something similar?

Thanks

Steve
16.1012 055aed.jpg

roryw

Re: Owl roost?

Post by roryw » 28 Oct 2012, 19:13

Hi Steve,

I have seen these grassy knowles on the moorland to the east of Knock Quien before (quite a few of them). The ones that I found were as you suggested, a result of nutrient enrichment from bird faeces. I spent a week watching out for birds using these perches whilst working on the moorland and witnessed gulls species using them most frequently but also saw a Golden eagle on one, with evidence suggesting the eagle using it on a more regular basis (e.g. pellets, feathers etc). I was quite fascinated by these too as they must have developed over a very long period of time. I didn't see any owl pellets around the few that I checked, but owls roosting in the same place over any length of time would surely produce the same effect.

Rory