Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Identification help

This is the place to discuss anything to do with birds or birding in the Outer Hebrides
FinM

Identification help

Post by FinM » 23 Jan 2013, 10:06

I have a question for Forum members about a bird I heard calling while on a visit to Lewis last summer. I’m not great with bird calls and so my description probably is not very helpful but I thought it would be worth asking anyway. I didn’t see the bird but I was in fairly close range to it i.e. within 50m.

The location was near Tolsta Chaolais on 11th July. The bird seemed to be calling agitatedly from the edge of a moorland loch. It gave a fairly rapid succession of tew or chep sounding calls (I recall it was like a tiny toy machine gun if there were such a thing) interspersed with a jarring trill or rattling. I immediately thought it sounds like a wader but that’s as good as my identification gets and I could be way off the mark. It certainly wasn’t a call I’m knowingly familiar with.

Any thoughts on what it could be would be great. It may be a long shot though given my description.

Of other interest was a Short-eared Owl in the Carloway area on the 12th and a few Goldfinches, including a juvenile. Sadly I didn’t see any Stonechats or Whinchats in their usual locations while the rise of Greenfinches continues.

Gwen
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Re: Identification help

Post by Gwen » 23 Jan 2013, 10:54

I'm wondering if it could be a dunlin. Was it anything like this recording?

http://www.xeno-canto.org/57865

FinM

Re: Identification help

Post by FinM » 28 Jan 2013, 23:09

Hello Gwen
Many thanks for your help with the identification. I think it may have been a Dunlin having listened to the recording and several others on the xeno-canto website. Can their call/song follow a fairly structured sequence of rapid thrrrreeep calls followed by a harsh trill?