Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Ctenicera cuprea

If your interest is bees, dragonflies, beetles, ants or indeed any other type of insect chat about them, ask questions and share your images here.
Tristan

Ctenicera cuprea

Post by Tristan » 08 Jun 2012, 14:53

Thanks to websites supplied by ChrisJohnson and MrT, I have been able to identify a striking beetle I've seen in two different coastal locations on Lewis over the past couple of days. It is long and narrow in shape, with a violet thorax, though looking black in dull light; the wing-cases are also violet at the tips, but pale brown over most of their length. Unfortunately I got no photos as the insects I saw were very flighty, but there are plenty of images at http://www.thewcg.org.uk/elateridae/0326G.htm.

The name of the species is Ctenicera cuprea and it's in the click beetle family (Elateridae). It's said to be common in N and W Scotland though there are no O Hebs records on the NBN gateway.

chrisjohnson
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Re: Ctenicera cuprea

Post by chrisjohnson » 08 Jun 2012, 19:44

Hi Tristan

A striking beetle and a nice start to you coleoptera exploration.

We have it on the website http://www.hebridensis.co.uk/Beetles/species.php?id=18 but haven't found time to send the 'bits and pieces' to the OHBRP yet :(

Chris