Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Bee's

If your interest is bees, dragonflies, beetles, ants or indeed any other type of insect chat about them, ask questions and share your images here.
Stuart Taylor

Bee's

Post by Stuart Taylor » 01 Sep 2012, 09:16

Last year whilst doing my very first bee survey at Borve, Benbecula, I spotted a small black bee with a red tail.
Being relatively new to the islands and also not knowing too much about bee's at the time I logged it as probably being Bombus ruderarius and thought nothing of it. Afew days later I mentioned it to JB who went a little excitable, and asked me if I saw what colour its legs were etc. Well as I didn't get a photograph or specimen it seems that this record will be sadly lost in the ether. However I was talking to a young lady called Hazel last night, and she mentioned a black bee with a red tail which she saw on the islands within the last few days. This was without knowing of my earlier sighting. Where or when this was exactly I do not know, but she intends to bee(sorry) around for a couple of months and will get her to pass details on.

Even though these records may not be 100% is it worth hanging on to them for future use to document futre range changes etc?