Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Brown thing - id please

Observations, identifications and discussion
Tristan

Brown thing - id please

Post by Tristan » 15 May 2013, 07:58

brown thing.jpg
I found the attached growing on bare peat out on the moor at the weekend. It looked pretty disgusting and had a fungal texture, so I'm guessing it belongs in this part of the forum. Any ideas on identification?

Thanks

Tristan

chrisjohnson
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Re: Brown thing - id please

Post by chrisjohnson » 15 May 2013, 09:15

Hi Tristan

Doesn't look like any fungus that I know. Maybe one of the 'Jelly Lichens' in decay. A slime mould is another thought but, again, I don't know any that colour and that extensive.

If you could e-mail me a larger image, say 250k, I'll show it to some colleagues.

Chris

chrisjohnson
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by chrisjohnson » 17 May 2013, 08:56

Hi Tristan

Thanks for the larger images which I have shown to some colleagues.

It's Nostoc, a blue-green bacterium (cyanobacterium), but comes in other colours. There are apparently several species within the genus but would require microscopy and some literature.

Regards, Chris

Tristan

Post by Tristan » 17 May 2013, 10:13

Thanks Chris. I know of Nostoc as a partner in some lichens but I didn't realise it could also be such a large free-living structure.

Tristan