Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Spider identification help

Discuss anything do do with the natural world in the Outer Hebrides that doesn't come within the previous categories
YvonneB

Spider identification help

Post by YvonneB » 18 May 2012, 16:28

Hi, i found this spider on a fence this morning when i was doing my Breeding Bird Survey transect out by Loch Bee - any clues as to the species? It seemed to have a "nest" in some sheep's wool that was wrapped around the barbed wire.

Thanks in advance :)

Paul
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Re: Spider identification help

Post by Paul » 19 May 2012, 09:49

Is it Meta Segmentata? Not that I'm an expert.
Paul

YvonneB

Re: Spider identification help

Post by YvonneB » 19 May 2012, 18:39

Hi Paul

Thanks, i'm not at all an expert either - i don't even like spiders very much! :o

After doing a bit of searching around, I've been looking at Larinioides cornutus which seems like it may be a good match - see this photo which is from the Wild About Britain website:-